Legal Help And Protection For Whistleblowers

When companies or company officials are acting illegally, the first to notice wrongdoing are often other employees who work for the business. Whistleblowers provide a crucial service to their communities, often at significant professional and personal risk to themselves.

Thankfully, there are state and federal laws that protect whistleblowers from retaliation. But in order to properly utilize these protections, timing and proper procedure are critical. If you need to report illegal behavior on the part of your employer, you should first consult with an experienced employment law attorney like those at Moreland Law Firm, P.C.

Reporting Wrongdoing: When, How And To Whom?

It may go without saying that reporting wrongdoing to officials within the company is likely to be ineffective and dangerous — particularly if the wrongdoing seems to go all the way to company leadership. Therefore, it is usually best to report directly to an outside agency.

If the wrongdoing is financial or tax-related, you may need to report it to the Internal Revenue Service, the Securities and Exchange Commission, or state/federal law enforcement agencies. If the wrongdoing is environmental, the EPA may have jurisdiction. These are just some of numerous possibilities.

The timing of your report will depend on a number of factors, all of which can be discussed with your lawyer.

Qui Tam Cases

In cases where a company has defrauded the federal government, that company can be sued under the False Claims Act. These lawsuits, often brought by whistleblowers, are known as qui tam lawsuits. If you are able to recover money for the government in a qui tam lawsuit, you could be eligible to receive a very lucrative reward. This is one of the many reasons why it is critical to work with a highly skilled, highly experienced attorney.

Need To Blow The Whistle? Contact Us To Discuss Your Legal Options.

Moreland Law Firm, P.C., is located in Wimberley, and we serve clients in the Austin area and throughout Texas. If you need to report wrongdoing that could impact your job, contact us to take advantage of a free, confidential consultation. Call 512-782-2293, or send us a secure email.